Saturday, February 27, 2021

Visibility

 "Visibility" - a word that has a few meanings, mostly to do with seeing, prominence etc.

In 2017 the Tangled Threads theme was set to a certain size 0.5m wide by 2.0m long. The person who set the theme envisaged long transparent pieces of fabric hanging in the centre of a room to be viewed from either side or transparent fabric covering a doorway.

To be honest, in the beginning I was a bit stunned to think somehow I had to try to merge my current work to this theme. The 2.0m length was certainly a challenge. This piece took me over 3 months of stitching to piece it and hours to quilt it. In my mind it is a drone's view of the streets in a town with the rows of houses and the intersections. Visibility is important when driving around the streets. The dotted line represents the road. I like the way from my fabric selection, the values drift in and out of visibility.

This piece glows with luminosity when it is hanging under lights. I find it difficult to get decent photos of it due to its length. It really does suit our high ceiling house so at this stage I am happy if it never finds its forever home but maybe one day it will. 


No comments: