Monday, February 22, 2021

Inset 1 and Remnants

 I am thankful to be in a vibrant group of fellow textile artists called Tangled Threads here in the South Burnett. We are kept busy each year creating work for exhibitions in our area. Each year that I have been a member ( except for 2020) due to Sars-Cov-2 we have participated in the Winter Craft Festival in Kingaroy. We make new pieces each year for July then we exhibit at other places after that. In 2018 the theme was Inset and the challenge was to use metal in something. I had been trying out ideas for other focal points in my pieces other than the triangle peaks. I still wanted the shuttered view of a landscape. I came up with this, wanting bands of colour and an image within. This piece is called Inset 1- our Daily Landscape. I also wanted to frame within the focal point so I appliqued 1/4" wide copper foil ( used in guitars for sound reflection) that I sourced on ebay. This is definitely one of my family's favourite pieces. I actually discovered a photo of it ( from hanging in the Kingaroy Gallery) on Pinterest. Mind you they never acknowledged who made it, would have been good if they did.


In August each year, we set the theme and challenge for the next year. We came up with Remnants in 2018 for the 2019 year. For many years I have had fungi on a long list of possible things for inspiration. This piece came about because of the colours of fungi that I have seen on the decomposing wood in our paddocks. It looks a bit "drab" in this photo, but under the lights in a gallery and in our house it glows. I quilted the grey fabric with the colours of the strips and it is very effective. 


 I have been working on The Incubator and Mastermind Program with Lisa Call. This runs for 6 months as a project and I have been busy. Blogging, using Evernote to write about my art, using Excel for inventories is all part of the project. I have been managing to just keep up with it all. As well as doing extra shifts at my paid job, it has been a busy few weeks. On the plus side, I have been working on a couple of new pieces as well. On the home front, we are still waiting ( is getting very dry ) for some rain. Hope I have better news about that next week.

No comments: