Wednesday, August 1, 2018

First Day of August Update

I started off in June for a road trip to Capella, where our family paramedic was doing a bit of relief work. Very dry out there, and it's not really too far west in Queensland. She had a couple of major jobs whilst there. It was a reminder  for me of  the constant stress that they work under as a sole officer in a small town, being On Call 24 hrs a day having your meals interrupted and not leaving the town area is not really rewarded by your pay packet. Having worked like this myself 36 years ago, I know I prefer working in a continuous shift environment.
Arriving back home, I discovered the neighbour wanted his painting trestles back for awhile. This spurred the back house wall painter into action.


 This photo was taken after it was finally sanded, and undercoated. It is now finished and waiting for me to start on the wall above the stairs. Slow progress indeed.

 We had 2 weddings to attend in June/July. The first one was an enjoyable day. A real country wedding. I kept to my RTW fast and made an overcoat. I had purchased some upholstery fabric before my Ballarat trip in 2016 with a view to making an overcoat. I made a few errors with the welt pocket but rescued the coat from oblivion. A wedding guest brought along  A Melbourne Cup from 2015 for the Bride and Groom to drink a wedding toast from. We took the opportunity to hold it up for a selfie. I think that will be the closest I ever get to a Cup again. I have since watched a video of how they make The Melbourne Cup to learn they actually make 58 of them. The gold for this years Cup was mined at Mt Rawdon Mine near Mt Perry (where we used to live) and it was exciting to see some of our friends feature in the video.



We were invited to a wedding in France late July but could not attend. Laura asked me about fabric for making flowers for her bouquet. I didn't have much input other than saying it would be fun. They live streamed the wedding via Facebook, then I saw this photo of her bouquet. I think her and her bridesmaids have done well. I will have to find out when she returns to Australia more about the construction of them. 



I was asked by the Mt Perry Gallery Co-ordinator about quilts for an exhibition in the Gallery July/August. It was originally intended to mark the 20 year anniversary of a semi formal quilting group in Mt Perry, even though it is a bit past 20 years when we started talking about an exhibition.I sent over a few quilts spanning those years. Other current members have their work on display as well, the display is a credit to all involved and by all accounts well received by the Public. Get along to the Mt Perry Gallery and check it out, you will not be disappointed.

This was my sampler quilt made as a class sample in 1994. Is hand quilted would you believe?


This was my first quilt from 1996 that I machine quilted with lines no more than 1/4" apart. It is a Strips That Sizzle piece.

This one I entered in the Inaugural Quilts Across Qld competition at the Ekka in 2002. I actually got a prize in the contemporary section. This was using my hand dyed fabrics.

In 2007 we had a kaleidoscope workshop with a tutor from Bundaberg. I made about 3 of theses quilts. I actually think there is still an unquilted top out there to finish. I will have to dig it out and finish it. This one is my favourite one to date.


I included 2 newer pieces , this is Combinations which you have seen before.

 This one is Reflections which I have mounted on  canvas for easier display.

We had our Kingaroy Winter Craft Festival in the Gallery in Kingaroy during June, where we displayed our current work. We now have moved on to our work on Remnants pieces which will be displayed next year. We have 3 pieces at least to make.
I have been working in my series still, this is my wall hanging, where I envisage remnants to be the landscape remnants where fungi break down the wood from trees etc.

The challenge piece is from using this piece of black rubber offcut as an inspirational source. Whether you use, the colour, shape is up to you.


We also have to make a quirky piece 40cmx40cm. I gave it some thought.
I have come up with this. This is titled "PMAV Prison". 


I may need to explain what PMAV stands for in Govt/Farming terms. Property Map of Assessable Vegetation including remnant and regrowth vegetation. 
This is my interpretation of what the current Qld Govt has done to it's farmers.  
. I am not sure if it will meet the requirements of being quirky to some of our members but it does for me.
With that I will leave you pondering, where might my series head from here. Catch you next time I pop up on your screen.



1 comment:

Narelle said...

Your PMAV quilt needs blue circles all over to complete it :D
Lovely to catch up as alwaysxx