Monday, January 1, 2018

2017 ends, 2018 begins.

Always the time for reflection, review of the past year and achievements, disappointments and then the hope for new beginnings as the clock ticks away and January begins again. I have been tidying up trying to prepare for the new whilst dealing with the old like everybody else on the planet. Age is starting to creep up on our thoughts and actions this year.
I spent another Christmas Season working, the roster I work is a cyclic 4 week one and it just so happened that my 5 shifts with the Lates and Nights covers the Friday - Wednesday which for 5 years has also covered the Christmas dates. I spent Christmas Eve working until 10pm, drove the 230 kms home after that, spent Christmas morning sleeping in while someone else went farm working for 3 hrs, then we met one of the family group for a picnic lunch at a local creek swimming hole, then drove back home, had a sleep, then drove 230kms back to Bundaberg, then started work at 2145 Christmas night, and worked again Boxing Day night. I was thankful for the shift change giving me nearly 24 hrs between the shifts. Next year, I will be starting night shifts on Christmas Eve so will spend Christmas Day sleeping. Am thinking of once again staying at the beach for a week and hoping the family will come too. Luckily for me the work was not too stressful this year. The good thing about the roster was once I got home I had my usual 9 days off which coincided with the New Year shutdown of most businesses.
I have decided to participate in the Ready To Wear Fast challenge, from now on called RTW 2018. My goal is to make one item of clothing for me once a month. I know I won't find myself in the situation of having absolutely nothing to wear, Dear Husband would probably be quite happy about that but I don't think anybody else would be.
I cut out the pattern pieces from this vintage style pattern I picked up from ebay last year and this is my first item. Am going to have to size it up half a size. I have a piece of silk somewhere in my stash which will make a good sleeveless shirt. 
I have continued working on the Quilting Arts monthly word 10"x8" pieces.

Joyful is still a work in progress, needs tidying up, facing and mounting.


I really like the simplicity of this one called Phenomenon. Still amazed at the illusionary effects.


Phosphenes


This is Simplicity finally finished. I tried to get a good photo and even editing did not improve it. Looks much darker than this photo shows. I wanted to achieve the look of weaving in this piece and demonstrate how thread can change the base fabric. Not sure if I did but looks ok hanging on the wall with good lighting.

So a New Year beckons, I have 2 more word challenges to do Blanket and Wonder, they are both in the thought stages, 2 huge pieces to start, Visibility and Inset, Visibility is due Jan end, which isn't going to happen and I'm not stressing this year. Off to Ballarat in 11 days time for Fibre Arts Summer School to learn different batik methods. Then back to work for the lates/nights again. 
Have 2 birthdays of the little people in January, 4 and 3 years respectively, both are wonderful little girls who we love dearly. 
In amongst all of this the usual farm work keeps happening, the house and shed building project needs to be completed as they hope to move in by January 31st. Severe storms ripped through the area on Boxing Day with their current place perched on the very western edge of the severe strip. One family we know that has suffered great hardship in the past few years, have had their house condemned by the assessors and now have to rebuild from scratch. Imagine the trauma they will suffer each time a storm rolls in. 

The house renovations will continue again after the mustering is finished, though the spare room door is now safely back on its hinges. Our bedroom door  is still patiently waiting for it's reno, but it will be done by 2018 end. Remember goal setting seems to be the best way forward. Lots to do in 2018, so let's get to it. Happy New Year everybody.




No comments: