Friday, February 17, 2023

Whew! Time to Catch Up, Have a Break!

During last autumn, I was working on entries for the International Art Textile Biennale 2023. I could not show you my entries as I was waiting for the juried results. I was successful in getting one quilt selected. This one is currently on tour in the East Gippsland Art Gallery in Bairnsdale Victoria until March 18th, 2023. Then it goes to Emu Park Qld from April 15 - June 10 2023. Then off to Toowoomba from July 8- August 26 2023. Kyogle, Hobart, Darlinghurst, Geelong, then Fabrik Lobethal in South Australia are following dates finishing in July 2024.



This is the second one that I made. I will now have it in our Tangled Threads exhibit in Kingaroy in July 2023.


This is the book that is available with every piece documented and the Artist's statement. 
International Art Textile Biennale | Fibre Arts AU ,you can find out more information visiting the website. While you are there, consider looking at attending a Fibrearts school. I was supposed to be doing a workshop at  April's school this year, but it got cancelled, so have transferred to one in September with Elizabeth Haigh- The essence of colour.

The other big news is I bought a fabric business!. Last year, I was talking to Chrissy the owner of batikfabrics.com.au one day and half jokingly said " I could be interested in buying her business". Unfortunately for Chrissy her health deteriorated and she did have to sell and she approached me about it. I did give it some thought, and decided to purchase it, as a hobby business for my retirement from Pathology work. I have been learning SO MUCH MORE about the internet, online shopping and websites. So much time was spent physically moving fabrics, setting up a storage area and then waiting for go LIVE DAY in December. The first order came through about 5 hrs into the site going live. Which necessitated a panicked phone call to Chrissy about "what to do next?". I am happy to say I have now processed a few more orders and feel much more confident.
The worst part has been matching the website inventory with the physical inventory. I have set up an Excel spreadsheet for the physical inventory and dutifully am updating that as I do not want to keep counting about 4500 metres of fabric.

These are some examples of fabrics which I currently have and some new ones that I have added this past week. Not quite what the word batik sometimes brings to mind. I hope to be able to get back into hand dyeing  more when I start an extended period of leave from work in April. Am hoping my September workshop will add to my skills in fabric colouring.








I am enjoying the time spent playing with fabric so far. The new Fire Range suits being used in Art Quilts,  maybe I might regret only getting 1 set of the range. The designer is busy working on new ranges all of the time, so maybe there will be more like it soon. Batik Fabrics Online — Arrivals in Store  this link will take you directly to the new arrivals collection on the website. I am trying to update this page at least once a fortnight. So much to learn!  So little time for sewing for me, but I hope to sew again soon.
On a personal note: we both ( husband and I ) had birthdays recently. Our daughter shouted us a gift voucher for Packs n Pedals from Monto for a bicycle tour of the Barrimoon Tunnels at Kalpowar.

 


We spent a pleasant Saturday afternoon riding an e -bicycle through these tunnels and downhill to the bus pickup area. An evening meal at the Kalpowar Hall completed the evening. Worth it for the sights ( reminded up both of Mt Perry where we lived for many years) and the company. Don't think we will be buying a bike though. We are still waiting for a decent drop of rain for the farm, so here's hoping we get some soon. 

No comments: